The shocking story of torture in our county jail as Andrew Holland was strapped to a chair for 46 hours, left to defecate and urinate on himself until his ultimate death has prompted SLO County Progressives to organize a 46-hour long protest in front of the SLO County Courthouse at 1050 Monterey St, SLO.
The event began with a rally on Saturday March 17th, attended by over 200 people despite less than 24 hour notice. Speakers included members of the Holland family and community leaders.
Activists are taking turns sitting in a “restraint chair” for 46 straight hours in front of the courthouse to bring awareness of this major criminal justice issue. The public is encouraged to visit the demonstration and also to sign our petition calling on Sheriff Parkinson to resign. The event will then conclude with a gathering at 11am on Monday morning.
The entire 46 hours of the event is being live-streamed on the SLO County Progressives Facebook page.
We need to stand up and advocate for the mental health community who we are FAILING. Mentally ill community members do NOT belong in the County Jail.
Supporting Organizations of the Demonstration are:
– Cal Poly Students for Quality Education – SQE
– Bend The Arc SLO
– SLO County Progressives
– Women’s March San Luis Obispo
– California Nurses Association
– Cal Poly Democrats
– Cal Poly Queer Student Union
– SLO Democratic Socialists of America
– Together We Will SLO
– NAACP San Luis Obispo County
– Tranz Central Coast
– SLO Peace Coalition
– Cal Poly SLO Planned Parenthood #GenerationAction
– Time’s UP: Cal Poly
– SLO County Democratic Party (SLOCDP)
– Democrats of San Luis Obispo Club
– Stonewall Democrats of San Luis Obispo Couny
– El Moro Democratic Club
– Atascadero Democratic Club
– Paso Robles Democrats
– SLOHS Democratic Club
– Triota Community